Punarpuli or commonly known as Kokum is mainly found in India and Africa. It has got pharmaceutical and culinary uses. Sun dried Kokum peels are used in Sherbet and rasam (watery soup). Ayurvedic physicians have long used kokum to treat sores, prevent infection, improve digestion, diarrhea and constipation. During my childhood days when I used to go to Grandma’s house for summer vacation we cousins used to pick these fruits, eat the inner part and collect the peels for sun drying. This sun dried peels can last for years and years so no need to worry about storing in refrigerator. It is available in most of the Indian stores where spices are sold. Today I am going to share this recipe with healing magic- if you have indigestion, cough, throat infection or cold this is what you need to drink.
- Sun dried Kokum peel- 4
- Black pepper powder- 2 tbs (or can use more, it will help healing your cold)
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Ghee/clarified butter- 1 tbs
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tbs
- Curry leaves- 4
- Soak the peels in a cup of water for 10 minutes, let it become soft.
- Now transfer this into a big vessel add another cup of water, salt to taste and black pepper powder
- Boil the content well and keep it in low flame for 10 minutes after it starts boiling
- Now take a tampering spoon or pan and tamper ghee, mustard seeds, chopped garlic and curry leaves. Add to the vessel containing kokum mixture.
- Serve it hot as rasam with rice or drink it as shots.